Barrow Lodge No. 3928 was formed and consecrated on July 10th 1919, at the Furness Abbey Hotel where it met regularly until March 1938, when the owners the L.M.S. Railway company closed the Hotel. A possible reason for its closure may have been the probability of war starting since the army made use of the hotel to train certain groups of soldiers.
Meeting in the hotel and using the dining room facilities, meant that the members had to “dress for dinner” when having a meal after the lodge meeting, a practice still being followed out by Barrow Lodge members. However visitors are not expected to follow this practice.
So, having lost their home an application was made to join the existing Lodges meeting at the Abbey Road Masonic Hall and being accepted, joined the others in September 1938. A third move came in 1963 when on the 12th September the first regular lodge was held at Fairfield Lane. Having spent forty happy years at Fairfield Lane lets hope we do not have to move again.