Baldwin Lodge meet in the Masonic Hall, Hall street, Dalton in Furness on the 2nd Wednesday of Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Sep, Oct, Nov and Dec. October being the installation ceremony. Baldwin lodge first met in Dalton Castle in 1872, the venue was changed in 1947 to the present location. The year after the move, a petition for a new lodge, to be named “Dalton in Furness Lodge” was passed. Baldwin’s daughter lodge was consecrated on 28th July 1949. Baldwin lodge still enjoys a strong and active membership in the local Masonic group.
The consecration ceremony commenced at 1pm on that far off day in Dalton Castle when Colonel WJA Baldwin was installed as it’s first Worshipful Master.
It must have been a source of great satisfaction to him to have the double honour of the new lodge being named after him and to become it’s first member to occupy the Masters chair.It is interesting to note that in a record of the consecration and installation ceremonies contained in the 20th of July 1872 edition of the Freemason, it is stated that as the mother lodge Furness, 995 was so great a distance from Dalton namely about 5 miles and that as the Freemasons in Dalton were rapidly increasing in number it had been decided to establish a lodge at Dalton.
The report indicated that 91 masonic brethren were present and that the ceremony of consecration was carried out by T Wylie, Provincial Grand Registrar, assisted by the Rev. J F Goggin, M A Prov. Grand Chaplain, with the music conducted by J Skeaf, Prov. Grand Organist.
Also listed among those being present were others whose names are familiar to our ears today as their persons must have been to the eyes of our predecessors, for example, Henry Cook of Hartington 1021; H S Alpass, the then Prov. Grand Secretary; J Hamer, past Prov. Grand Treasurer (acting as Director of Ceremonies); and to Daltonians in particular – the Rev. J M Morgan, Vicar of Dalton at that time, whose eccentricities still crop up when old Daltonians foregather and reminisce.
The installation dinner, provided by the Worshipful Master, was held in the Wellington Hotel, Dalton, were mine host had excelled himself in providing “Viands and wines so as to tempt the most fastidious”. Mine host (F Bell) was also a member of the newly constituted lodge and had that day been invested as Junior Deacon.
Even the elements celebrated the birth of the Baldwin lodge for it was recorded in the local press that during the banquet “The room was illuminated almost continuously with vivid flashes of lightning and terrific peals of thunder, accompanied by such a fall of rain as ever the Lake District rarely witnesses.”