Piel Castle Lodge No. 6099
One of the younger lodges in the Furness and South Lakeland Group, Piel Castle Lodge was consecrated on 9th August
1945, only days before the official end of World War II. It was originally formed by 20 members of Hartington and Hindpool Lodges in Barrow. It has been suggested that the name was proposed by a member who, as a Trinity House Pilot, lived at Roa Island facing the castle on Piel Island. It would seem a logical suggestion for someone who saw the ruined castle on a daily basis. (For more information on the history of Piel Island and Piel Castle, see the Barrow Borough Council’s web site).
As a newly established lodge, Piel Castle was short of many items in the early days. However, in the true masonic spirit, many were donated by members, or loaned by other lodges.Originally meeting at the Masonic Hall in Abbey Road in Barrow, Piel Castle (in common with the other Barrow lodges) moved to their current premises in 1963. The Masonic Hall at Fairfield Lane is a larger building, being a former private school, Spennithorne College. It is the meeting place of four other lodges in Barrow.
Piel Castle Lodge always welcomes visiting masons to its meetings, which are held on the fourth Mondays in the month, with the exception of July and August when it closes for the summer recess. Installations normally take place during the month of May. The December meeting takes the form of a Carol Service, which is open to all, and is followed by seasonal refreshments of mince pies! Family and friends of members always enjoy this particular evening, and it is their chance to share something of our masonic fellowship. Non-masons are also made welcome at other social events. These take place throughout the year, and range from fashion shows to barbeques.